JCPenney is Committed to Your Safety
We can’t wait to see you!
We’ve made it easy to shop the way you want
Having closely followed the recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), we closed our stores to protect the health and safety of you and our associates. As city and state guidelines evolved and states began their phased reopening plans, we’ve now reopened all of our stores.
We continue to closely monitor the current situation in states where Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases are rising and adjust business operations to ensure the safety of our customers and associates.
All the ways we’re keeping you safe
- Contact-free curbside pickup
- Diligent nightly cleaning of our stores and throughout the day, paying attention to high-touch areas
- Social distancing procedures in place, with reminders throughout the store
- Contactless checkout
- Masks provided to each associate
- Customers required to wear masks in-store
- Hand sanitizer available for associate and customer use
- Plexiglass shields at open registers
- Ongoing associate training on safety practices
- Monitoring the health department and CDC guidelines to inform our practices
Frequently asked questions
FAQ updated on Aug. 19, 2020
Our priority remains on the health and safety of our associates and customers. We’ve now reopened all of our stores and will continue to follow the latest guidance and safety precautions based on state and local orders.
The health and well-being of our customers and associates is always a top priority. We are monitoring local health department and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines to inform our practices, and taking precautions to provide a safe environment in which to shop and work, including the following:
- Contactless shopping, including Contact-free curbside pickup, mobile wallet payment, email receipts, and our enhanced flagship store, jcp.com.
- Diligent cleaning throughout the day, paying extra attention to frequently touched surfaces.
- Requiring customers wear masks or face coverings while shopping in our stores.
- Adjusting store hours.
- Social distancing procedures, with reminders throughout the store.
- Limiting the number of customers in the store at a time based on local and state requirements.
- Hand sanitizer available for customer and associate use.
- Plexiglass shields at each register in use.
- Measures to ensure safety of returned merchandise.
- Associate training on safety practices.
- Providing personal protective equipment to associates, such as face masks.
Based on state mandates, some JCPenney stores offer designated shopping hours on Wednesdays and Fridays during the first open hour. At-risk customers include senior citizens, expectant mothers, and those with underlying health concerns.
As state and local orders have allowed, we’ve reopened our salons in select stores. As of June 24, we’ve reopened more than 700 of our salons. To find out if a salon near you has opened, please use our “find a store” feature on jcp.com. Enter your zip code, city, or state. Once your store list appears, click on “store services” to find out if the salon is open. We’ll continue to reopen the salons as it’s safe to do so and look forward to welcoming more of our customers back.
As we expand services to our customers while following state and local mandates, we continue to deliver an engaging shopping experience at JCPenney stores. Fitting rooms are open where allowed based on state-issued guidelines. Our focus remains on safety, and the fitting room experience includes additional precautions, such as: social distancing (alternating rooms will be open), enhanced cleaning, increased signage and staffing, and an overnight hold on merchandise that has been tried on (longer in some states based on mandates). Please contact your local store or see a store associate for the status of fitting rooms at your favorite JCPenney store.
Customers can shop at our flagship store, jcp.com, and through our app, which features a new and improved experience. We’re now offering free shipping on orders of $49 or more. And, we continue to offer Contact-free curbside pickup at all of our non-liquidating stores for free Same Day Pickup and Ship to Store orders.
Yes! JCPenney Style on the Go curbside pickup is completely Contact-free and a convenient service for customers available at all go-forward stores. Here’s how it works:
- Shop. Before proceeding to checkout on jcp.com, select free “Same Day Pick Up” or “Ship to Store.” We’ll notify you via email when your order is ready.
- Park. You’ll easily find dedicated parking spaces with Style on the Go Curbside Pickup signs in the JCPenney parking lot. We provide store-specific instructions and links for turn-by-turn directions to our Style on the Go Curbside Pickup parking spots in your “Ready for Pickup” email and our JCPenney app.
- Check in. When you arrive, let us know you’re here by clicking on the “Go Curbside” link in your “Ready for Pickup” email or using our highly-rated JCPenney app. On the app, just go to the “Order Details” and select “Go Curbside,” then find directions and the option to select “I’m at the store,” which prompts you to check in. At that point, you’ll receive status updates as an associate processes your order inside the store.
- And go. One of our associates, wearing a face mask, will grab your order and place it in the back seat or trunk of your car, adhering to social distancing recommendations.
We’ve installed plexiglass shields at each register and placed social distancing markers on our floors. In addition, customers can use the JCP app to make a mobile wallet payment and request an email receipt for Contactless checkout.
We appreciate your patience and loyalty as we continue to adjust to these challenging times. With many of our stores temporarily closed, we’re processing more online orders which may take longer than usual. We’re working to get orders out as safely and quickly as possible and have enhanced our online shopping experience to include estimated “Get it By” dates. We’ll continue to email updates on the status of your order, including shipping dates and tracking numbers.
JCPenney offers a flexible return policy without time limits on most merchandise and salon products if you have your receipt. You can also send returns for online purchases via mail following the instructions listed on our website. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide prepaid labels for customers who choose to send returns via mail.
To ensure your safety, returned merchandise will be held in a designated area overnight (longer in some states based on mandates) before being put on the sales floor.
Please note our return policy for liquidating stores below, and visit our Store Closings landing page for additional information.
- Beginning June 25, 2020, all sales will be final at most closing stores. Dates may vary by location.
- Contact your local store for more details.
If you are experiencing financial hardship as a result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and are unable to make a payment to your JCPenney Credit Card account, please contact Synchrony at the number on the back of your credit card to discuss options, such as waiving payments, so you avoid paying any late fees.
We realize associates may be looking for additional help to navigate this unprecedented time, and have partnered with our benefit providers to support the health and well-being of our associates and their families:
- Current medical, dental, and vision coverage remains in place for associates currently enrolled in the JCPenney benefits program.
- Associates covered under a JCPenney medical plan may receive expanded Coronavirus (COVID-19)-related services and coverage, such as waiving of testing-related copays, deductibles, or coinsurance, for a limited time.
- Telehealth services are provided through JCPenney medical plan providers, and some costs may be waived if related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) has temporarily expanded its counseling benefit to all active associates (not only those covered under a JCPenney medical plan).
- Temporary hazard pay recognizes the extraordinary dedication our frontline supply chain and customer care associates continue to show as they support our jcp.com operations and our customers.
We have taken a number of steps to safeguard the health of these associates who have continued to work on the frontlines to make sure customer orders are delivered safely and efficiently. For example, we’ve:
- Separated and adjusted workstations to ensure safe distancing.
- Placed 6-foot physical markers on the floors in cafeterias, breakrooms, and near time clocks.
- Significantly increased our sanitation processes by:
- Disinfecting high-touch areas every two hours during operation.
- Cleaning restrooms more frequently.
- Providing hand sanitizer throughout the buildings.
- Staggered breaks, lunches, and some start times to avoid having too many associates in one place, and reduced meetings to small groups.
- Increased ventilation in our distribution centers.
- Reduced our hours of operation to 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. EDT in customer care and significantly increased work-from-home capability.
- Encouraged associates to stay home when they are feeling sick, and temporarily waived our attendance policy.
- If a facility is temporarily closed due to a confirmed case of Coronavirus (COVID-19), associates will be paid for their regularly scheduled shifts.
JCPenney is dedicated to the communities where we live and work. We recently donated 100,000 facemasks and 500,000 shopping bags to the Dallas Independent School District (DISD) to support their weekly distribution of 500,000 meals to local students. For years, JCPenney has been committed to closing the opportunity gap for at-risk youth, and we are proud to provide resources that help keep local students nourished and engaged in learning. The contribution was announced in coordination with #GivingTuesdayNow, a global day of giving in response to the unprecedented need caused by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Our customers can help us continue this kind of support by rounding up their purchases at checkout to the nearest dollar for charity. All proceeds benefit the JCPenney Communities Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, and our charity partners such as Step Up, After-School All-Stars, YMCA, and Boys & Girls Clubs. Along with continuing our mission of supporting at-risk youth, the JCPenney Foundation will use a portion of funds raised to respond to the evolving needs during COVID-19 and other unforeseen disasters in our communities.
We also recently announced a partnership with Give Back Box, to provide an effortless and convenient way to donate gently-used clothes and household items while caring for our planet. Associates and customers simply fill a box with items they no longer need and ship it off at a local UPS or USPS location. Donations will be sent to local charities and once your package is received, the box is guaranteed to be recycled.
Apple Pay is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.