JCPenney’s Response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
We’re here for you, and your safety is our top priority.
Having closely followed the recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), we closed our stores to protect the health and safety of you and our associates. As city and state guidelines evolve, so will our approach to reopening stores.
All the ways we’re keeping you safe
- Contact-free curbside pickup
- Diligent nightly cleaning of the store
- Social distancing procedures in place, with reminders throughout the store
- Contactless checkout
- Masks provided to each associate
- Extended return policy and a longer time window to use your rewards
- Plexiglass shields at the register
- Associate training on safety practices
- Monitoring the health department and CDC guidelines to inform our practices
We’ve made it easy to shop the way you want
Frequently asked questions
FAQ updated on May 27, 2020
Our priority remains on the health and safety of our associates and customers. As we’ve continued to follow the latest guidance based on state and local orders, we’ve gradually reopened our stores in a phased approach. Currently, we’ve reopened 304 stores and plan to have nearly 500 reopened by June 3. To find out if a store near you has reopened, visit jcp.com/findastore. You can also subscribe to email updates by visiting jcp.com.
The health and well-being of our customers and associates is always a top priority. We are monitoring local health department and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines to inform our practices, and taking precautions to provide a safe environment in which to shop and work, including the following:
- Contactless shopping, including Contact-free curbside pickup, mobile wallet payment, email receipts, and our enhanced flagship store, jcp.com.
- Diligent cleaning throughout the day, paying extra attention to frequently touched surfaces.
- Adjusting store hours.
- Social distancing procedures, with reminders throughout the store.
- Limiting the number of customers in the store at a time based on local and state requirements.
- Hand sanitizer available for customer and associate use.
- Plexiglass shields at each register in use.
- Extended return policy and a longer time window to use your rewards.
- Measures to ensure safety of returned merchandise.
- Associate training on safety practices.
- Providing personal protective equipment to associates, such as face masks.
We’ve temporarily reduced our store hours to the times below.
- Monday through Saturday – noon to 7 p.m.
- Sunday – 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
We’re offering designated shopping hours for at-risk customers at all stores on Wednesdays and Fridays from 11 a.m. to noon. At-risk customers include senior citizens, expectant mothers, and those with underlying health concerns.
As state and local orders have allowed, we’ve reopened our salons in select stores. As of May 27, we’ve reopened more than 100 of our salons. To find out if a salon near you has opened, please use our “find a store” feature on jcp.com. Enter your zip code, city, or state. Once your store list appears, click on “Store Services” to find out if the salon is open. We’ll continue to reopen the salons as it’s safe to do so and look forward to welcoming more of our customers back.
Customers can shop at our flagship store, jcp.com, and through our app, which features a new and improved experience. We’re now offering free shipping on orders of $49 or more. As we follow state and local orders, we’ll continue to reopen stores and offer Contact-free curbside pickup for free Same Day Pickup and Ship to Store orders.
Yes! JCPenney Contact-free curbside pickup is a convenient service for customers now available at all reopened stores. Here’s how it works:
- Shop. Before proceeding to checkout on jcp.com, select free “Same Day Pick Up” or “Ship to Store.” We’ll notify you when your order is ready.
- Park. When picking up your order, just pull up to a reserved parking spot.
- Call or text. Call or text the number posted on the reserved parking sign and provide your parking spot number and order number.
- And go. One of our associates (who will be wearing a face mask) will grab your order and place it in the back seat or trunk of your car, adhering to social distancing recommendations.
We’ve installed plexiglass shields at each register and placed social distancing markers on our floors. In addition, customers can use the JCP app to make a mobile wallet payment and request an email receipt for Contactless checkout.
We appreciate your patience and loyalty as we continue to adjust to these challenging times. With many of our stores temporarily closed, we’re processing more online orders which may take longer than usual. We’re working to get orders out as safely and quickly as possible and have enhanced our online shopping experience to include estimated “Get it By” dates. We’ll continue to email updates on the status of your order, including shipping dates and tracking numbers.
JCPenney offers a flexible return policy without time limits on most merchandise and salon products if you have your receipt. For receipted merchandise with time limits, JCPenney will extend our flexible return policy for an additional 30 days from the time we reopen stores. You can also send returns for online purchases via mail following the instructions listed on our website. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide prepaid labels for customers who choose to send returns via mail.
To ensure your safety, returned merchandise will be held in a designated area for 72 hours before being put on the sales floor.
With the temporary closures of many of our stores, we are holding Buy Online Pickup in Store and/or Ship to Store orders (that arrived prior to our stores closing) for our customers. As our stores reopen, you will be notified by email and those orders will have an extended pick-up time of 30 days.
We want to do everything we can to ensure you have an engaging shopping experience with us. To make things a little easier in these uncertain times, we’re giving you more time to redeem your $10 rewards.
- All unused rewards earned prior to April 1, 2020, have been extended an additional 90 days.
- Plus, any rewards earned between April 1–30, 2020, will be extended an additional 60 days.
- Be sure to check your revised expiration dates at jcp.com/rewards.
If you are experiencing financial hardship as a result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and are unable to make a payment to your JCPenney Credit Card account, please contact Synchrony at the number on the back of your credit card to discuss options, such as waiving payments, so you avoid paying any late fees.
- Current medical, dental, and vision coverage remains in place for associates currently enrolled in the JCPenney benefits program. All unpaid furloughed associates in the benefit program continue to receive full health benefits, with the Company covering 100 percent of employee-paid premiums.
- Associates covered under a JCPenney medical plan may receive expanded Coronavirus (COVID-19)-related services and coverage, such as waiving of testing-related copays, deductibles, or coinsurance, for a limited time.
- Telehealth services are provided through JCPenney medical plan providers, and some costs may be waived if related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) has temporarily expanded its counseling benefit to all active associates (not only those covered under a JCPenney medical plan).
- Temporary hazard pay recognizes the extraordinary dedication our frontline supply chain and customer care associates continue to show as they support our jcp.com operations and our customers.
- Separated and adjusted workstations to ensure safe distancing.
- Placed 6-foot physical markers on the floors in cafeterias, breakrooms, and near time clocks.
- Significantly increased our sanitation processes by:
- Disinfecting high-touch areas every two hours during operation.
- Cleaning restrooms more frequently.
- Providing hand sanitizer throughout the buildings.
- Staggered breaks, lunches, and some start times to avoid having too many associates in one place, and reduced meetings to small groups.
- Increased ventilation in our distribution centers.
- Reduced our hours of operation to 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. EDT in customer care and significantly increased work-from-home capability.
- Encouraged associates to stay home when they are feeling sick, and temporarily waived our attendance policy.
- If a facility is temporarily closed due to a confirmed case of Coronavirus (COVID-19), associates will be paid for their regularly scheduled shifts.
JCPenney is dedicated to the communities where we live and work. We recently donated 100,000 facemasks and 500,000 shopping bags to the Dallas Independent School District (DISD) to support their weekly distribution of 500,000 meals to local students. For years, JCPenney has been committed to closing the opportunity gap for at-risk youth, and we are proud to provide resources that help keep local students nourished and engaged in learning. The contribution was announced in coordination with #GivingTuesdayNow, a global day of giving in response to the unprecedented need caused by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Our customers can help us continue this kind of support by rounding up their purchases at checkout to the nearest dollar for charity. All proceeds benefit the JCPenney Communities Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, and our charity partners such as Step Up, After-School All-Stars, YMCA, and Boys & Girls Clubs. Along with continuing our mission of supporting at-risk youth, the JCPenney Foundation will use a portion of funds raised to respond to the evolving needs during COVID-19 and other unforeseen disasters in our communities.
We also recently announced a partnership with Give Back Box, to provide an effortless and convenient way to donate gently-used clothes and household items while caring for our planet. Associates and customers simply fill a box with items they no longer need and ship it off at a local UPS or USPS location. Donations will be sent to local charities and once your package is received, the box is guaranteed to be recycled.
Apple Pay is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.